Saturday, March 5, 2011

My Wedding Dress

I decided awhile back that I wanted to make my wedding dress. For several reasons... I had been looking all over and hadn't found anything that I liked. I wanted a vintage dress, but seemed a little too hard since I would have to get it cleaned and maybe altered etc. I didn't want to shop at David's Bridal or any store like it. I didn't want to spend a fortune on my dress. I was starting to realize that this was harder than I thought. And I soon found out that Wedding dresses are OUTRAGEOUS in price and just not super unique. Oh and I also was looking for a short dress so I could show off my sassy shoes!
While shopping at the Country Living Fair in the fall of 2010 I found this pattern:
Wedding Dress??  Option 1 Wedding Dress?? Option 1
It was sooooooo cute! and it was only $4.50.
For Christmas I received a gift certificate to Sew to Speak from my Mom. I knew right away that I wanted to take the Personal Fit class and make this pattern. Sheila Brex is the instructor and she basically walks you through the dress making process. From measuring and adjusting the pattern, cutting it out to sewing it all together. The class is only two sessions but Sheila amazingly offered to meet with me another time to help me put it all together. I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT! And it was so pretty :)
I used Swiss dot fabric over a bridal satin.
Front:
Wedding Dress!!! {Personal Fit Class @ Sew to Speak} {Feb Pattern Pact}
Back:
Wedding Dress!!! {Personal Fit Class @ Sew to Speak} {Feb Pattern Pact}
With a sassy flower I bought and some Red shoes:
Wedding Dress!!! {Personal Fit Class @ Sew to Speak} {Feb Pattern Pact}
I want to wear it everyday! But it has to wait until July 2nd, 2011..... Eeeee! I am getting excited!
Happy Saturday! -Julia

15 comments:

  1. I love it! I wore a sundress to my wedding (it wasn't handmade, but I wish it was) and never regretted it. Oh, and I've worn it since too. Interestingly, my original wedding date was July 2nd too, but we had to change it because the groom was going to be out of town... Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really lovely Julia! I know it was a lot of work but you did it!!! Very special!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an absolutely beautiful dress and you should be so proud of yourself. Your day will be all the better for loving the dress that you will be wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! Our anniversary is July 1. Go July weddings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's really pretty. So well done! I like that style a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all so much for the lovely comments! It was so much fun to make and turned out fabulously! I was planning on making 2 and then deciding, but that's not going to happen now. I like this one too much! I will just have to make the other one as a honeymoon dress! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is FABULOUS! And you look even more fabulous in the dress :) I found your blog from UHG and can't believe I haven't been here before. Thanks for letting me peak into your life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always wish I had worn a simple dress at my wedding. Mine wasn't super fancy or expensive, but it was one of those dumb "wedding" dresses that now I have no use for!

    Are you going to sport it like this or have a fluffy petticoat underneath like in the pattern? Either way, you did a GREAT job!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cherie: Thank you so much! I am so super excited about how the dress turned out. UHG is, Urban Home Goods Swap? Just double checking :) I am glad you found me! Thanks for stopping by!

    April: The fiancee and I have been together for nearly 9 years and I decided a long time ago that I wanted a short dress. For a couple reasons. 1. I cannot stand watching brides pull up their dresses to walk all the time. 2. I hate the idea of my bridesmaids worrying about my train and the way it looks and 3. I WANT TO SHOW OFF MY SHOES! :)

    I think I will wear a petticoat, it will fill it out a bit, maybe not a HUGE one but a medium size one.

    Glad you like it! It was a lot of fun to make!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty! It fits you to a T. I love your idea of a petticoat. It will add to the whole vintage look. Really love all of the little "touches" - the red flower and va-va-voom shoes will be fantastic!

    My wedding anniversary is July 2nd....great day to get married! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks so great and I cannot wait to see it in person! I cannot believe that you signed up for a sewing class to make your own wedding dress! That's still so crazy but I cannot believe how good it looks and it's a great style that you just can't find in the stores!

    Love the flower too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is so beautiful. It will be an amazing day. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah! How cute! (I found your blog from your sister's blog.)

    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW! I am impressed, Julia!! I don't mean to diminish your sewing job, but the flower makes it :) Shoes, too, of course!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, Happy Sewing!